In this tutorial I will show you how to re-size and create a partition using the built-in disk management feature in Windows 7. Creating multiple partitions on a hard drive is a very common practice and sometimes a necessity for business users. The most common application for two or more partitions is putting the operating system on one partition and the user data on the other. Another reason to partition your hard drive is to put recovery software on one volume and then everything else on the other. Whatever the reason, resizing or creating a new volume in Windows 7 is quick and easy so follow along.
1. Go to the Taskbar and click the Start button.
2. Then find the Computer button and right-click on it. Once the menu appears choose the Manage link.
3. Now the Computer Management screen will appear. In the left sidebar under the Storage heading click on Disk Management.
4. In the center window you will see all the hard drives and partitions on your computer. Now right-click on the partition you want to re-size and choose Shrink Volume.
5. When the Volume screen appears you can now shrink the volume (partition) by the desired size.
6. In the, Enter The Amount Of Space To Shrink in MB, box you will enter the desired size shrink size and then press the Shrink button.
7. Once the partition has been re-sized you can then create another partition by right-clicking on the Unallocated Space and choose the New Simple Volume option.
8. Now the New Simple Volume Wizard will appear. To get started click the Next button. It will then ask you to specify the Specific Volume Size. Here you can choose the size of your new volume (partition). After you’ve chosen the desired size then click Next.
9. It will then ask you to Assign A Drive Letter to the new volume. Here you should choose a drive letter so your operating system will see the new partition. Choose any drive letter that isn’t in use (It is always best practice to chose the next letter that is free). When you’re done press the Next button.
10. Now the Format Partition screen will appear. Choose the Format This Volume With The Following Settings and then select NTFS for the file system, select Default for Allocation Unit Size and type in a Volume label. Now check the Perform A Quick Format box and then press the Next button.
11. The next screen will allow you to confirm your settings and once your satisfied press the Finish button.
12. Windows 7 will now create a new partition. Now you’re done.
– Creating more then three partitions on a hard drive is not recommended. If you need have more then three partitions then it’s better to install another hard drive.
That’s it! It’s really that simple. We hope the tutorial “How to Re-size and Create a Partition in Windows 7” using Windows 7 has helped you with your computer repair issue.
You can watch this tutorial on video by clicking the play button below. For the full screen version click the second button from the right on the video.
If you need more help regarding this Windows 7 “How to Re-size and Create a Partition in Windows 7” tutorial then let us know by visiting our Repair Questions page.