Cost of Repair
In this tutorial I will show you how to install a laptop DVD, or optical drive, into a laptop. Withe popularity of 17 inch laptops many people are watching their favorite movie on their laptops. Also, most software these days are now shipped on DVD’s so having a DVD player is essential in today’s computer world. The reliability of laptop DVD’s are not as good as their desktop versions but if treated right they can last a long time. Replacing a laptop DVD is usually a fairly straight forward process unless the laptop release screw is located under the keyboard and then the installation process get considerably more complicated. Let’s start the tutorial.
1. Place your laptop upside down on a table with a soft cloth to protect the laptop lid from getting scratch.
2. Unscrew the DVD release screw from your laptop which is usually located a few inches from the each of the DVD drive. Some laptops have the release screw located under the keyboard which makes the install more difficult.
3. Once you unscrewed the release screw then grab a medium sized paper clip and insert it into the eject hole the laptop DVD drive. When you press the paper clip into the hole the pull the paper clip out and the drive will pop open.
4. Now grab the frame of the drive and pull it out of the laptop. Sometimes you have to wiggle the drive a little bit to release it.
5. Pick up your new laptop DVD drive and insert it into the laptop all the way and screw the release screw back into the hole.
6. Flip the laptop over and boot it up. Let your operating system recognize and load the driver of your new DVD drive before using it for the first time.
- When installing a new DVD drive into a laptop you have to remove the rear bracket from the old drive and screw it into the new drive in order for the release screw to line up.
That’s it! It’s really that simple. We hope the tutorial “How to Install a Laptop DVD Drive” has helped you with your computer repair issue.
You can watch this tutorial on video by clicking the play button below. For the full screen version click the second button from the right on the video.
If you need more help regarding this “How to Install a Laptop DVD Drive” tutorial then let us know by visiting our Repair Questions page.